Club Records - Managers - George Borg

Click on the Excel icon at the foot of the page to open the record file.

Born: 11.5.58, Hackney.
Managerial Tenure: 18.9.97 to 31.1.02.
First Game: v Croydon (H), Isthmian League Division 1, 20.9.97.
Last Game: v Hitchin Town (H), Isthmian League Premier Division, 19.1.02.

A playing career that started at West Ham United and Millwall saw George released from the Den in May 1977 at the same time as former Aldershot FC player Terry Shanahan; he never made a Football League appearance for the South London side.

Of Maltese origin, George made his name as a no-nonsense tough-tackling left full back and his career then took in spells at Wycombe Wanderers, Maidstone United, Dartford, Dulwich Hamlet, Cape Town City in South Africa and Carolina Lightning in the United States (where he played alongside Rodney Marsh and Bobby Moore). Furthermore, he can count Barry Fry and John Still as former managers.

An injury prevented George from continuing his playing career and he started his managerial career at Barking in December 1986. He left Mayesbrook Park in November 1989 to take over at Chelmsford City, a role he retained until October 1990. In 1990-91, George led Chesham United to the Isthmian League Division 1 title, having taken over when they were in mid-table. In the process, the Buckinghamshire club scored over 100 goals to reach the Premier Division for the first time in their history.

In 1991, he took over as manager of Harrow Borough when they were bottom of the Isthmian League Premier Division and led them to safety before guiding them to an eighth-place finish the following season as well as winning both the Middlesex Senior and Middlesex Charity cups. In 1993, he took over as assistant manager and coach of Enfield. In the first year, they finished as runners-up in the Isthmian Premier Division and reached the FA Cup first round and the FA Trophy semi-finals. The following season, George took over as manager at Southbury Road and the Middlesex side won the Isthmian League Premier Division title, scoring 106 goals in the process. They also reached the FA Cup third round before losing to Leicester City at Filbert Street.

Two seasons as runners-up including a 25-match unbeaten run followed before, after extensive negotiations, George became manager of Aldershot Town (bringing Stuart Cash with him as his assistant) in September 1997. In his first season he led the Shots to the Isthmian League Division 1 title despite the club languishing in mid-table upon his arrival. Indeed, attendances rose from 1618 at his first match in charge to 4289 for the final match of the season, a carnival day against Berkhamsted Town. The final eight matches of the season were won as the Shots were crowned champions by 11 points. George certainly produced a flair and charisma that, at the time, was a breath of fresh air to the Rec faithful. The following season, 65 first team matches were played. The Shots scored 53 goals at home (more than any other club in senior football) and also secured their first-ever cup successes winning the Hampshire Senior Cup at the Dell and the Isthmian League Cup (against Boreham Wood) at Slough Town within two days of each other. They were special times for the club and the county cup success against Basingstoke Town was a unique evening as the Shots won with a goal in the final minute of injury time despite playing with 10 players for most of the match.

In 1999-2000, a placing of second in the Isthmian League Premier Division followed together with more cup success, a club record 9-1 victory over Andover securing the Hampshire Senior Cup. The club also reached the FA Cup first round for the first time where they defeated Hednesford Town after a replay, before eventually losing at Exeter City in round two. Two further FA Cup runs saw the only capacity crowd at the Rec since the club’s inception in 1992 (7500 against Brighton and Hove Albion) attend a first round tie in November 2000 together with the Match of the Day cameras. The following season, defeat was suffered in a first round replay at Bristol Rovers. George had his own brand of leadership that proved extremely popular with the Shots faithful in the early years.

However, his determination to succeed finally succumbed in season 2001-02 when, after the realisation that promotion was not to be, despondency and apathy crept in with the supporters. After a period of negotiations, George finally left the Rec by mutual consent in January 2002. However, the difficult and unnecessary final few months of his reign should not overshadow the contribution that he made to the progress of the club, especially in his early tenure.

Since leaving the Shots, George has been first team coach at Billericay Town (February 2002 to March 2003) and caretaker manager at Boreham Wood (April 2003), whom he was unrealistically tasked with saving from relegation out of the Isthmian League Premier Division. Following the inevitable “drop” with the Wood, George was appointed as boss of Hornchurch in September 2003 and led them to the FA Cup second round in 2003-04 (having defeated Darlington in round 1).

He also enjoyed success at Braintree Town, whom he led to the Isthmian Premier Division title in 2005-06. There then followed a narrow defeat to Salisbury City in 2007 Conference South play-off final. He also passed his UEFA “B” licence in the Netherlands and has coached the USA under-19 side. After being relieved of his duties at Braintree in October 2007, George served as caretaker manager of Boreham Wood for a second time in February 2008 before he was given “compassionate leave” to look after his ill brother two months later.

In the summer of 2008, George spent three months back in the USA coaching before returning to the UK and helping out (his friend) Steve Evans with some coaching and scouting at Crawley Town. In June 2009, he was due to return to Middlesex to join the coaching staff at Enfield Town, but an extended work commitment in the States put paid to that appointment.

Picture Gallery

Geroge in full voice
Celebrating on the pitch after another Abbo goal
Celebrations on the pitch after a goal
George in good spirits with Mark Blake
George with Mary Sweet, a truly outstanding lady who was universally known around the football club as the number one fan. Mary and George had a wonderful relationship and the League Cup final success versus Boreham Wood in May 2009 was dedicated to Mary who had sadly passed away after being taken ill during an Aldershot Town match at Slough Town earlier in the year.
George and Cashy talk tactics. Stuart was a loyal assistant to George who brought the west midlander from his previous club Enfield
George deep in thought with Player/Coach Colin Fielder
George always had a word or two for the match officials
Sharing a joke with referee Joe Ross
Simon Purves was Kitman throughout George's tenure at the Rec
In discussion with Chairman Karl Prentice
Always lively with Jimmy Sugrue about
Party Time with John McGinty
Hampshire Senior Cup celebration at the Dell in 1999 with Stuart Cash, Physio Phil Sheddon and Paul Priddy
Celebration time
In discussion with Director John Leppard and Vice President Jack Rollin
Away at Gravesend and Northfleet
A packed Rec as a Shots player receives treatment
Pictured with daughter Charlotte
Here with Mickey Adams who was in charge of Brighton and Hove Albion when the Seagulls visited the Rec for the only capacity crowd since the inception of the club. 7500 attended the FA Cup first round tie in November 2000
More fun with Mary Sweet and the supporters
Championship time at the Rec in 1998 as the Isthmian Division One is secured
George signs on the dotted line in September 1997 with Chairman Terry Owens and Secretary Graham Brookland
Looking on with Physio Phil Sheddon
More discussions with the officials
Appreciating a good move
shaking hands with Billercay Town boss John Kendall
Another trophy to celebrate with Cashy and Sheddsy
Looking on at the Rec in the Ryman League days
In familiar pose
Having a laugh with Director Aidan Whelan
A word in the shell- with Gary Abbott
Record appearance holder Jason Chewins signs a new contract with George looking on
Supporting the 200 Club. George actually ensured that every player was signed up to the 200 Club during his tenure as manager
Shots No 1 fan Mary sweet with George and the whole squad together in the South Stand where Mary and her friends congregated
In action in the Mark Francis Memorial Trophy; a competition played in the early years of Aldershot Town FC between the Supporters Club and staff.
In the East Bank with Stuart Cash and Terry Owens in May 1998 as Shots collect the Isthmian Division One championship trophy in front of over 4000 at the Rec

Attached Documents