Please use the buttons below to see more information on AFC Wimbledon and matches between Aldershot and Wimbledon over the years.

Match Report: 17 Nov 2012 Aldershot Town Football Club v AFC Wimbledon
Aldershot Town Football Club's Badge Aldershot Town Football Club 1
Wimbledon's Badge AFC Wimbledon 1
Fixture Type: npower League Two Venue: Away
Match Date: Sat 17 Nov 2012, Kick Off: 15:00 Attendance: 4321 (500)
Referee: Geoff Eltringham Assistant Referee: Adrian Tranter
Assistant Referee: Shaun Hudson 4th Official: Michael Webb

AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Aldershot Town- Match Report

Ben Blackmore reports from the Cherry Red Records Fans' stadium.

A second half strike from Stacey Long denied Aldershot Town a deserved victory at the Cherry Red Records Fans’ stadium.

The Shots were the better side throughout and opened the scoring in the third minute of stoppage time in the first half, Dani Lopez netting his first goal in English football capitalising on hesitant Wimbledon defending to fire the Shots ahead.

In the second half, Danny Hylton shot straight into the grateful arms of veteran goalkeeper Neil Sullivan. But it was the hosts who leveled the scores, Stacey Long firing a 30-yard free-kick straight through a crowd of players in the penalty area and into the net in the 77th minute.

And despite pressure from both ends nearer the end of the game, it ended AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Aldershot Town.

The Shots came into the game in desperate need of three points and a change of fortune. Dean Holdsworth in charge of his 100th game at the Shots, made two changes for the trip to AFC Wimbledon.Anthony Tonkin and Dani Lopez in for Scott Donnelly and Josh Payne, who passed a late fitness test and started on the bench.

As for the opponents, seven changes for Neal Ardley’s Wimbledon from their game with York on Monday. Neil Sullivan making his second homecoming debut in goal in place of Seb Brown.

The Shots started the brighter of the two sides, Aaron Morris’ early shot deflected away for a corner. Aldershot remained on top, Danny Hylton heading over a good chance from another corner.

Peter Vincenti headed over the bar after good work from Kieron Cadogan on the right-hand side before the Wombles had their first chance of the game, Jamie Young scrambling away a Byron Harrison chance. From the resulting corner Curtis Osano had the first clear chance of the game, hitting the bar from a volley in the 15th minute.

The home side recovered from a slow start to test Shots goalkeeper Young, who saved well from a dangerous looking Jonathan Meades cross. His opposite number, 42-year-old Sullivan, palmed away a Ben Herd delivery looking for the head of Peter Vincenti.

Sullivan was the busier of the two keepers in the early exchanges, saving well from Dani Lopez and a speculative 25-yard volley from Vincenti in the 27th minute.

The Shots were growing in confidence, Danny Hylton heading over a good chance from a dangerous corner.

The visitors were looking the most likely side to make the breakthrough, Hylton’s strike partner Lopez firing into the side netting.

With the game seemingly drifting to a goalless first half, the Shots deservedly scored the first goal of the game in the third minute of stoppage time just before the break.

Ben Herd delivered a free-kick which wasn't dealt with by the Wombles' defence and Lopez fired in an unstoppable left footed shot which beat Sullivan, 1-0 Shots.

Lopez’ first goal of the season was greeted by great ecstasy by the Shots management and faithful alike.


Refreshed from the half-time break, Wimbledon came out the stronger of the two sides. Byron Harrison’s cross hitting the top of the crossbar before Sonny Bradley blocking a Jake Reeves 25-yard shot over the bar.

Keen to hold onto their lead Aldershot were seemingly under pressure, Reeves again trying his luck from just outside the box but didn’t test Young in the Shots' goal.

Holdsworth’s side eventually got hold of the ball and in the 58th minute Lopez nearly added a second but his shot was comfortably saved by Sullivan.

The pressure on the Shots was clear to see, Aaron Morris tracking back to deny Meades a chance to level the scores.

Neal Ardley tried to inspire the Wombles onto an equaliser, introducing Kieran Djilali for Charlie Strutton.

With the Shots still leading, Lopez was trying his up most to double his tally firing in a shot once again straight at Sullivan. Danny Hylton also testing Sullivan with a left footed strike but the veteran goalkeeper was equal to it.

The Wombles were restricted to long shots, Djilali optimistically shooting wide from 30 yards.

However as the Shots were looking comfortable, disaster struck. Stacey Long fired in a dangerous free-kick from the left side which found its way into the net after it cleared everyone in a packed penalty area, leveling the scores in the 77th minute.


With the game poised going into the last ten minutes, the home side cheered on by an energized crowd seemingly ran out of steam, Danny Rose firing over for the visitors.

Into the last five minutes and Vincenti saw his 30-yard free kick just drift wide of the post.

The fourth official indicated three minutes of injury time and despite Aldershot having most of the possession it finished 1-1.

AFC Wimbledon will be the happier of the two sides, with the Shots having plenty of chances to kill the game off when ahead.

The draw sees the Shots remain in the relegation zone in 23rd position, with AFC Wimbledon moving up one place into 20th.

SHOTS: Young; Herd, Brown, Morris, Tonkin; Cadogan, Bradley, Rose, Vincenti; Lopez, Hylton.

Subs: Payne, Morris, Sinclair, Mekki, Donnelly, Rankine, Seidi.