Please use the buttons below to see more information on Burton Albion and matches between Aldershot and Burton over the years.

Match Report: 20 Nov 2012 Aldershot Town Football Club v Burton Albion
Aldershot Town Football Club's Badge Aldershot Town Football Club 1
Burton's Badge Burton Albion 0
Fixture Type: npower League Two Venue: Away
Match Date: Tue 20 Nov 2012, Kick Off: 19:45
Referee: Kevin Wright Assistant Referee: A Clayton
Assistant Referee: J Wilson 4th Official: C Akers

Lopez strike lifts Shots out of the bottom two

Rob Worrall reporting

Shots finally got both the performance and the result that their hard work thoroughly deserved. A fourth minute goal by on loan Spaniard Dani Lopez was enough to secure three points and lift Aldershot Town out of the bottom two places in League Two.

Fresh from a much improved performance at Wimbledon on Saturday, Shots' manager Dean Holdsworth named an unchanged starting line-up and bench. Stevenage loanee Lopez continued up front alongside Danny Hylton, following his goalscoring full debut at the weekend.

Shots started confidently and created the first worthwhile chance just a couple of minutes in. A long, trademark, Ben Herd free kick was knocked down by Sonny Bradley into the path of Danny Rose, who struck his 20-yard effort well, but wide of the post.

Just two minutes later though, Shots were ahead. Jamie Young sent a long ball forward, Danny Hylton flicked the ball nicely into the path of Lopez, who advanced with the ball, centre of goal, before tucking away a neat finish past Dean Lyness in the Albion goal. 1-0 Shots.

Spurred on by the early strike, Shots were thirsty for a second goal. On the quarter-hour mark, a flowing move involving Cadogan, Lopez and Vincenti ended with the latter being taken out by Robbie Weir on the edge of the area. Danny Rose stepped up to take the resulting free kick, but his left foot effort from 20 yards was always going both high and wide.

Burton responded with a couple of half chances - Palmer with a driven cross/shot, tipped behind for a corner by Young and then a weak Billy Kee effort, which Young saved with ease.

Vincenti was relishing his role on the left of midfield and won a succession of free kicks for his side. He also fell awkwardly following a challenge on the halfway line and it was to everyone in the Aldershot camp's relief that he was able to continue after treatment.

The home side created their best chance of the first half on 41 minutes, Patterson heading toward goal close in, but Young reacted well to fist it away and for once, there was no opposition player on hand to tidy up.

The final effort of an excellent first half performance by Shots came from Cadogan, who attempted a lobbed finish from the edge of the area, only to see it fly over the goal. 1-0 to Shots then at the break.

That man Lopez soon announced his presence again straight after the break. He showed great close control to beat his marker on the right touchline, before bearing down toward goal. He was rather unlucky to be penalised for what was barely a nudge on another defender, as he attempted to keep control of the ball inside the area.

On 55 minutes - a good chance for Shots to double their lead - Hylton pulling the trigger from the inside left channel - his shot went wide though.

Holdsworth's men went even closer on 61 minutes. Lopez did well on the left side to win a corner. As the ball subsequently pinged around the penalty area, Vincenti stabbed it toward goal -only to see it ricochet back off another player on the goal line.

Shots were well on top at this stage, but with them pushing forward so much for a second goal, Burton always had an opportunity or two on the break. On 66 minutes, the dangerous Billy Kee pulled the trigger from the edge of the area, but Young was on hand to save the day for Shots.

Holdsworth has been reluctant to make substitutions of late - but as the game entered its final 15 minutes, he made two changes. First Rob Sinclair for Cadogan. Then, Rankine for Lopez, who was arguably Shots man of the match.

Things started to get a bit heated. Following one Burton attack, Brewers skipper Zander Diamond advanced aggressively towards Bradley. With the ball up at the other end at the time, it was impossible for the referee to see what had happened. The assistant referee had a much better view, but brought nothing to the attention of referee Wright.

Burton won a corner as the fourth official announced five minutes of added time. The ball was only half cleared and as it came back in, Brewers sub Bylth rose to head goalwards. That man Young was there again to save for Shots - a routine save on this occasion.

The tension was almost unbearable for everyone connected with The Shots as incredibly, some eight and a half minutes of added time were actually played out before referee Wright finally blew up for full time.

A much needed and thoroughly well deserved three points for Aldershot Town, which sees them climb out of the League Two relegation places.