Please use the buttons below to see more information on Wycombe Wanderers and matches between Aldershot and Wycombe over the years.

Match Report: 06 Nov 2012 Aldershot Town Football Club v Wycombe Wanderers
Aldershot Town Football Club's Badge Aldershot Town Football Club 0
Wycombe's Badge Wycombe Wanderers 0
Fixture Type: npower League Two Venue: Home
Match Date: Tue 06 Nov 2012, Kick Off: 19:45 Attendance: 2042 (291 visiting)
Referee: David Phillips Assistant Referee: Graham Horwood
Assistant Referee: Gavin Muge 4th Official: Paul Kelly

Aldershot Town 0-0 Wycombe Wanderers Match Report

Charlie Smith reporting from the EBB Stadium

Shots: Red Shirts, Blue Shorts, White Socks 
Wycombe: Yellow Shirts, Yellow Shorts, Yellow Socks

Referee: David Phillips
Assistant: Graham Horwood
Assistant: Gavin Huge
4th Official: Paul Kelly

Att: 2042 (291 incl Wycombe)

Shots: Young, Herd, Tonkin, Brown, Payne, Hylton, Vincenti, Reid, Bradley, Cadogan, Rose
Subs: A Morris, Rankine, Sinclair, Branston, Donnelly, G Morris, Munns

Chesterfield: Archer, Winfield, Ainsworth, Lewis, Spring, Wood, Andrade, Oli, Grant, Dunne, Scowen
Subs: Logan, Harrison, Angol, Kewley-Graham, Morias, Taylor, Hause

The Shots came into the game unbeaten in their last three games. The fixture with Wycombe was going to be a crucial test for Dean Holdsworth’s side as the hosts went into the match below their opponents in the table only on goal difference.

It was Aldershot who started the game brightest. Danny Hylton connected with Anthony Tonkin dangerous delivery, but his header across goal was eventually cleared after a scramble in the Wycombe box. The home side kept up their pressure with a great bursting run from the centre of the park by Peter Vincenti who released Hylton. Unfortunately the man who grabbed a brace on Saturday dragged his shot wide of the target.

With nearly 15 minutes gone the visitors started to come more into the game. Shots old-boy Joel Grant found himself free down the left wing and whipped in a dangerous looking ball, but luckily for the men in red there was no one in the middle to slot home.

The game was now becoming end-to-end with both sides desperate to get the crucial first goal in this bottom of the league tie. Hylton, who was looking lively, delivered an inch perfect cross for Vincenti. The midfielder’s header forced a fine save from Jordan Archer in the Wycombe goal. It was straight back down the other end where Bruno Andrade, on loan from QPR, showed a bit of premier league class with his cross into the box. With two players waiting for a tap in it took a great-headed clearance from skipper Ben Herd to prevent the opening goal.

Dean Holdsworth

Dean Holdsworth

At the half way point of the first half the Shots should have been front. Both teams were getting joy in the wide areas with crosses delivered into the box, and the next opening was no exception. Cadogan’s cross found Vincenti in the area, the midfielder once again towered above his marker. His header forced a good save from Archer, but the rebound fell straight back to the Aldershot man. Archer got back up quickly to stop Vincenti's second effort. The ball fell free to Reid in the box but unbelievably the keeper somehow stopped his effort too. Archer had single handedly kept his side on level terms with some outstanding goalkeeping.

After 29 minutes the game was turned on it’s head when referee David Phillips produced a second yellow card for Tonkin for a late challenge on Gareth Ainsworth. The defender was late and the official felt he was left with no other option than to send the defender off. Dean Holdsworth reacted to the decision by bringing on Aaron Morris in place of the lively Cadogan, and it was a decision that didn’t please some of the home crowd.

Wycombe looked to go up a gear having the extra man and they soon came close to breaking the deadlock. Manager Ainsworth led by example and struck a wonderful effort from 25 yards, however it was matched by a brilliant save by Young. The sending off of Tonkin had changed the pattern of the game immensely. The men in yellow were now passing the ball around the park with confidence as they looked to capitalise on their numerical advantage. However the next opportunity surprisingly fell to the hosts. Hylton found Reid in the box, but the striker’s goal bound attempt was well blocked by Dave Winfiled.

Aldershot were desperate to go in to the interval on level terms but they were riding their luck and nearly fell behind just minutes before the break. Another quality delivery from Andrade found Winfield in the box. The former Shots man’s effort wrong footed a helpless Young, but his attempt went just inches over the crossbar.

HT: Shots 0-0 Wycombe

As the two sides reemerged for the second half it was a big 45 minutes for Dean Holdsworth and his side. The manager would have been pleased with his players’ start after the interval, and it was his team that created the first chance. Reid picked the ball up just outside the area and turned his marker making space for a shot, but the striker couldn’t keep his strike down.

With nearly an hour of the match gone Gareth Ainsworth must have been concerned with how his side had started after the break. The majority of the play since the restart had been played in the Wycombe half, and the Shots were starting to create some openings. The ball fell to Hylton just outside the area, he had time to bring the ball down and run in through on goal but unaware of this he rushed his shot which went well over Archer’s goal. The home crowd were encouraged by the way their side were playing, and the home side were going to need their support if they were going to getting something from the game.

Danny Hylton Tussles

Danny Hylton Tussles

Ainsworth was the stand out player as he tried to get his side playing, but they weren’t responding. His next move was to replace himself with Junior Morris. It was a decision his counterpart in the opposite dugout wouldn’t have been too disappointed with.

With less than twenty minutes to go the visitors created their best chance of the half. Referee Phillips awarded Wycombe a free kick after Aaron Morris’ foul on Andrade. Josh Scowen whipped a delightful ball in that was met by the head of Dennis Oli. The winger’s header had the power but not the accuracy and it flew wide of Young’s right-hand post.

In a half of few chances it was the hosts that carved out the best one. Danny Rose picked up possession in the middle of the park and released Hylton. The striker found himself through on goal but with the keeper barring down on him he could only hit his effort straight at Archer.

The away side had been poor in the second half but they were still trying to push for the win. After Morris was again penalised for a foul, the men in yellow were presented with a free kick and an opportunity to win the game. Grant laid the ball short to Matt Spring, he drilled his effort hard and low which forced Young into a smart stop low down.

The fourth official signaled four minutes of injury time and both teams now didn’t know whether to stick with the point or go for all three. In the end both teams had to settle for a draw. For the Shots it was a hard fought point after going down to ten men midway through the first half, but unfortunately with other results going against them Aldershot will go into Saturday’s game against Bradford bottom of the table.

FT: Shots 0-0 Wycombe

Optiplan Bespoke Kitchens M.O.M : Josh Payne