Please use the buttons below to see more information on Basingstoke Town and matches between Aldershot and Basingstoke over the years.

Match Report: 14 Jan 2006 Aldershot Town Football Club v Basingstoke Town
Aldershot Town Football Club's Badge Aldershot Town Football Club 2
Basingstoke's Badge Basingstoke Town 3
Fixture Type: Hampshire Senior Cup Venue: Away
Match Date: Sat 14 Jan 2006, Kick Off: 15:00 Attendance: 652

Basingstoke Town 3-2 Shots

Shots bow out of Quarter Final at The Camrose with last minute Lewis Cook winner for the Conference South side

On a soaked pitch at The Camrose Ernie Howe's side came from behind to progress to the Semi Final against a Shots side missing several key players on the day. With manager Terry Brown away scouting Coach Martin Kuhl was left in charge and he would have been pleased with the performance of his side in the early stages. Matt Somner teed up former AFC Bournemouth striker Kirk Hudson inside three minutes and the youngster saw his effort cleared off the line. A facial injury to Dave Winfield saw the Shots defender withdrawn after lengthy treatment on the touchline. Nick Crittenden was the replacement. On 17 minutes the home side took the lead. The ball stuck in the heavy pitch on the edge of the six yard box and home striker Ricci Dolan was able to direct his effort goal bound despite Somner challenging. In a quiet opening period Shots knocked the ball around well with Ryan Williams always looking threatening down the left hand side. Former Rushden/Diamonds player Sean Ridgeway provided the corner that levelled the game. Ex Shots keeper Stuart Searle was unable to gather the ball and Hudson got in front to head home inside the six yard box. 'Stoke should have taken the lead again in injury time but James Taylor's close range effort was heading into the net until fellow striker Martin Whiddett blocked it.

In the second half a fine individual effort from Hudson gave Shots the lead. He cut inside to unleash a left footed strike into the far corner giving Searle no change whatsoever.

Thereafter the home side started to dominate more. Dan Weait was equal to Dolan's close range effort and Justin McKay went near with a 25 yard drive. Home boss Ernie Howe brought on highly rated attacker Lewis Cook and it paid dividends. On 74 minutes Weait made a fine save from McKay's fierce strike forcing the ball away one handed. However Cook was on hand to receive a second delivery and duly struck home into the bottom right hand corner to level.

Extra time was looming but both sides had opportunities to finish the game in normal time. Greg Heald made a fine challenge inside his own 18 yard box to deny Taylor a shooting opportunity. The ever lively Williams made a terrific run with just three minutes remaining cutting inside and beating four players before his final effort was gathered on the line by Searle. With referee Willie Bull, who had a good game, looking towards an additional half an hour 'Stoke received a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. Cook always looked capable of getting his strike on target and his shot beat the diving Weait to send the home crowd and players into rapturous celebrations. Shots were behind and there was no way back.


"I was disappointed to lose in the manor that we did with the free kick in the last minute. Overall with the side that we had out there I was pleased with the effort and the work rate and there are some disappointed individuals in the dressing room. Sean Ridgeway is a youngster that has been training with us and has experience at Rushden and Diamonds. Kirk Hudson was a youngster at Celtic and Ipswich Town and he played against Woking Reserves earlier in the season.He has had a spell at AFC Bournemouth this season too. There are no excuses today. Both teams tried to play football and it was a disappointing way to end the day".