Playing squad 2013/2014
Squad No: 3 - Anthony Tonkin's Picture
3: Anthony Tonkin 2013/2014

Anthony Tonkin: 2012/2013 Biography & Statistics

Anthony is a solid, pacy left back, who can also play as a wing back and at centre back.

His late father (also named Anthony) was chairman of Cornish minor league side Mousehole, whilst his mother was the club secretary; he also has two younger footballing brothers - James (a defender/midfielder with Mousehole) and Jon (a striker/midfielder with Helston Athletic).

In his teens, Anthony played for his county before signing schoolboy forms with Plymouth Argyle and going on to appear for Mousehole (he was playing as a striker in their first team at the age of 14!) and Falmouth Town, with whom he finished as runners-up to Truro City in the South Western League in 1997-98. His performances for Falmouth not only earned him the unofficial title as 'Fastest Man in Cornwall', but also brought him to the attention of Yeovil Town, who duly signed him in the summer of 1998.

Thereafter, Anthony's career took a slightly unconventional path as he went to university to study for a degree in Business Management and Sports Sciences whilst playing part-time in the Conference for the Glovers. Whilst studying, he played for the British Universities representative side, but Yeovil's decision to go full-time in 2000 meant that he missed the "business placement" part of his degree but, to his credit, he still graduated with honours.

It took a while for Anthony to see the benefits of his decision, but the next two seasons would see him miss just seven league games.

In 2000-01, he made 37 appearances as the club finished as runners-up to Rushden and Diamonds; he was also part of the sides that thumped Division 2 Colchester United 5-1 in the FA Cup first round and beat Third Division Blackpool (1-0) in the next round before putting in a spirited

performance against Bolton Wanderers of Division 1 in a 2-1 defeat in round 3. He made 47 appearances in all competitions in 2001-02 (missing just two league games) and participated in the 3-0 defeat of Division 2 side Queen's Park Rangers in the first round of the LDV Vans

Trophy, as the Glovers finished third in the Conference and beat Stevenage Borough at Villa Park to win the FA Trophy. A couple of months before the aforementioned Trophy victory, Anthony gained a cap for the England Semi-Professional XI against the USA.

Seven appearances at the start of the 2002-03 season preceded Stockport County paying a fee of £50,000 in the September to give him his first taste of the Football League. He made his debut in a Division 2 (equivalent to today's League 1) fixture at Tranmere Rovers later that month and went on to make 24 appearances for the Hatters before a fee of £150,000 paved the way for him to step up a division and join Crewe Alexandra in August 2003.

Over the next three seasons, Anthony made nearly 90 league appearances, but the Alex struggled in the division, finishing 18th in 2003-04 and avoiding relegation from the (now renamed) Championship on goal difference the following season. The inevitable drop to Division 1 came at the end of 2005-06 as a result of a 22nd place finish and Anthony's misery was completed that summer when he was released. In a bid to stay in the

Championship, he trialled at Queen's Park Rangers and Colchester United, where he sustained an injury that caused him to miss the bulk of pre-season and put paid to a reported move to Plymouth Argyle.

Having recovered sufficiently to play again, Anthony rejoined Yeovil in August 2006, but his lateness in resuming full training meant he wasn't always the first choice left back, meaning he often had to suffer the frustration of watching from the sidelines. He saw out the last two months of the 2006-07 season on loan at Conference National side Grays Athletic, where he played in the second leg of the FA Trophy semi-final defeat against Stevenage before collecting a red card in the penultimate away game at Burton Albion.

Anthony left Yeovil at the end of the season and, having turned down offers from several Football League sides and trialled at Lincoln City, he joined Forest Green Rovers. This move allowed him to stay in the South West and his solidity and composure during the 2007-08 campaign contributed greatly to Rovers attaining their highest-ever league finish (eighth in Conference Premier).

In July 2008, he became the first signing made by Cambridge United boss Gary Brabin and played in all-but-four of the Us' 'regular' league

games, garnering continual recognition as the best left back outside the Football League in the process. With the runners-up spot in Conference Premier (behind Burton) having been attained, Anthony subsequently played in the two-legged semi-final victory over Stevenage and the 2-0

defeat to Torquay United in the Wembley-staged final. He continued his good form into the 2009-10 season and attracted interest from Mansfield Town but, having missed just four games up until the January, he joined Cambridge's promotion rivals Oxford United for an undisclosed


By the end of the campaign, Anthony had helped his new club reach the play-offs via a third-place finish and played in both legs of the resultant semi-final against Rushden and Diamonds plus the 3-1 final victory over York City at Wembley, which saw the Us return to the Football League after an absence of four years. He played in Oxford's first game back in the League at Burton and made a total of 39 appearances as Oxford finished 2010-11 in a creditable mid-table position, which gave them confidence for the following season.

Unfortunately, Anthony sustained a groin injury during the defeat at Rotherham United on the opening day and didn't play again until starting the goalless draw at Morecambe midway through December 2011. He played a dozen more games that season and was on the losing side just twice, but a seven-game winless streak at the tail end of the season meant the Us missed out on the play-offs by two places and four points.

In the summer of 2012, Anthony joined Aldershot Town, thus reuniting with former Oxford team-mate Josh Payne.

Career Stats:

Mousehole - not known;

Falmouth Town - 30 appearances, 1 goal;

Yeovil Town - 106 + 1 appearances, 2 goals;

Stockport County - 26 + 1 appearances;

Crewe Alexandra - 84 + 9 appearances;

Yeovil Town - 3 + 4 appearances;

Grays Athletic (on loan) - 13 + 1 appearances;

Forest Green Rovers - 46 + 1 appearances;

Cambridge United - 70 + 2 appearances, 1 goal;

Oxford United - 66 + 10 appearances

Click the player's picture and the recent news pictures on the left to zoom them.

Anthony Tonkin's Details
Squad No: 3
Position: Left Back
Weight: 13st lbs
Height: 5' 11"
Date of Birth: 17/01/1980
Place of Birth: Penzance
Former Clubs: Mousehole, Falmouth Town, Yeovil Town, Stockport County, Crewe Alexandra, Yeovil Town, Grays Athletic (on loan), Forest Green Rovers, Cambridge United, Oxford United
Debut Match: v Wolves (A), League Cup first round, 11.8.12
Joined Club: 25.5.12
Transfer Fee (Bought): Free
Anthony's Club Stats: This Season Club Total
Appearances: 22 22
Sub Appearances: 2 2
Goals: - -
Penalties: - -
Own Goals: - -
Total Apps/Goals: 24/0 24/0